Ready to take the leap?
This is a question that I get asked frequently. Regardless of the time of year, or whether or not I know someone, people ask me if Homeschooling is the right option for them.
The answer – I have no idea!
There are people that I’ve suggested an alternate route, and there are some that I believe wholeheartedly will be successful.
Where do you fall in those two extremes?
The most important decision you will make in the education of your child(ren) is this one – you ready?
Why are you considering Homeschool?
Sit down and honestly consider the reason you are even here right now.
- A few of the reasons I’ve had, or heard over the past decade of homeschooling are:
- I want to give my child(ren) a better education.
- I want to ignite a love for learning in my child(ren) that will last them their entire life.
- I want to control what my children are taught.
- I don’t like the influence of some of the other children at the local school.
- I want to make sure my child(ren) learns what I think is important.
- I want to have more flexibility in my schedule.
- My child(ren) has/have learning challenges, food allergies, or some other concern and I would feel more comfortable if they were at home.
- All my friends are homeschooling.
- It is too far/inconvenient to go back and forth to the school/bus multiple times each day.
Of course, some of these are ridiculous, and some are overly optimistic.
Answer these questions for yourself:
- How will homeschool improve the lives of your family?
- What are your biggest concerns about homeschool?
- What challenges do you think you’ll face?
- How will you overcome them?
- What will homeschool change about your life and the lives of your family members?
- Are the other members of your household on board with the idea of homeschool?
- Can you make the time to homeschool?
These are all essential questions to honestly consider. Look at all sides of each question, research, think, ask for help! Speak frankly with your family, and once everyone has answered these questions honestly, you will see the choice for you.
Don’t think you can go it alone? There are many ways to homeschool. Check out my post …..
Education and learning can be directed toward what each individual needs. Education for mastery, not to conform to a list helps create interest and love for learning.
Learning can happen at any time, in almost any place.